10.09.2010

Saturday Screed

Welcome Fall!  Thou art my favorite time of year!

Occassionally I am accused of being a control freak.  Yeah, I KNOW... crazy!  So I've been thinking, in a light hearted way, about those thing over which I fuss...and those I don't.  Here are a few things I came up with...feel free to add to the list.

(my daughter can confirm...or refute... the following)
  • I hate open cabinets and drawers... but last night's dishes still in the sink the AM, not a problem.
  • I don't care where you squeeze the toothpaste tube, but you'd better learn how to put toilet paper on the holder... the right direction.
  • I don't mind driving everywhere... but don't touch my music and MY drink goes in the forward cup holder.
  • If I can't see that you've been drinking milk out of the carton, I don't care...just don't leave it in the fridge empty.
  • I have 'look' towels  and 'use' towels... I will show you the difference.
  • If the thread count is less than 600, I don't care how good the price or cute the pattern, those sheets are not going home with me.
  • Yes, I alphabetize my DVDs...what of it? 
Ok... the mindless is done. 

I went to Sam's Club today, for the first time since I was home in Utah in July.  As I walked around picking up the things on my list a few things occurred to me...some not for the first time.

Shopping at Sam's is limited for a single woman with no storage space...lol  There are a few things that I just can't bring myself to pay for at the grocery store and its worth the initial output.  But the list is short.  I like to buy things like chicken breast and pork chops and then break them up into 'individual' portions and freeze them.  Granola bars, ziploc bags, bread, and occasionally books and movies end up in my basket... but I eschew 6 packs of anything, 120 load laundry soap, and 36 rolls of paper towels... no room.  Still I like to go and wander around.

Sam's (and other warehouse stores) make the overwhelming presence of fattening, processed, never-gonna-be-good-for-you food that is prevalent in our society even more noticeable.  They outshadow the fruits an veggies and good stuff. Wow!  I briefly considered a 5 lb bag of baby carrots... but they'd go bad before I had a chance to finish them off... or my skin would turn orange from eating them all, and that would clash with my hair. 

People really do go to Sam's for dinner on a saturday... not to BUY it but to partake of the many demonstration stations throughout the store...there may have been things I would have considered buying but I couldn't tell because I could not navigagte the hordes clustered around the breaded chicken patty or quiche stations. 

On Thursday I went to my book group... and in addition to a great bunch of women, the book we read was Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl.  She was a food critic and would go out in disguise so people wouldn't fawn all over her... and my favorite aspect was all of the different characters she developed...all imbued with different personality characteristics that were parts of her, many that she did not even realize she had!  It reminded me of Lucy.

Lucy is my alter ego... back in the day I had friends who used to give men fake names when we were out... Mel and Steffie...lol  I never could do that.  I started referring to Lucy when I realize there were two distinct sides of me... Rieda is all about responsibity while Lucy was all about the fun but I think there's supposed to be a balance, right?  Oh, Lucy asserts herself occasionally and gets away with a few things... makes impulsive decisions but its Rieda that makes sure things don't get out of hand.  Ok...sometimes that is SO boring...lol 

I think Rieda and Lucy need to go on a playdate...what do you think? :)

3 comments:

Anna Gailey said...

You don't like things that rattle in the car while your driving, you normally yell at someone to find out what it is. (:

Unknown said...

Oh yeah... that too, altho I take exception to the yelling part. LOL

Nim said...

Definitely bring Lucy out to play more often. Definitely!